OK, so your goals are probably more modest. You probably have one particular issue or group of related issues that
you care about. It doesn't matter what issues interest you; sociological theory and research offer many ways to understand
things and to act more effectively.
Here are some examples:
1. A sociological perspective can help you understand the multiple forces influencing the issue, whether it is the status
of women in the developing world or teen pregnancy in your community.
2. Sociology can reveal how the real drivers of social behavior (they are not waht you may think!) are relavant to your
3. Research and concepts taken from sociology can help you design an effective program, policy, or organization.
4. Insights from sociology can help you sell your ideas.
5. You will learn how popular explanations of social behavior can lead to wrong conclusions about what should or could
be done about an issue.
If you are an activist then you are in the "business" of selling ideas. Ask me how sociology can help you be a better